Farnham Cleaners served the surrounding neighborhood as a commercial laundry and drycleaner for over 50 years. Prior to being a cleaners, the building was used as a bottling plant for soft drinks. Now in disrepair, the building was condemned by the City of Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo County Land Bank Authority acquired the property and hired F&V to assist in property redevelopment activities:
- Assist with bid management and contractor selection.
- Conduct hazardous materials assessments.
- Perform boundary and ALTA surveying.
- Prepare biddable specifications for asbestos abatement and demolition.
- Provide observation and documentation of the demolition process.
The demolition helped the Land Bank further pursue their mission to “serve as a tool for strategic economic development in our community.” The lot was sold to an adjoining business for future redevelopment and productive community use.