Traffic Engineering Services
The goal of traffic engineering is to accomplish the safe and effective movement of people and goods on roadways.
At F&V, our traffic engineers work on projects that focus on traffic analysis, design, and operations. From analyzing and designing complete streets, to school studies on safe routes to school, F&V provides state-of-the-art traffic engineering solutions for projects that range from small community developments to large highway systems.
- Congestion management studies: F&V conducts a congestion management process (CMP), which is an organized and established approach for managing congestion that provides detailed, up-to-date information on transportation system performance and determines alternative strategies for congestion management that meet State and local needs.
- Parking studies: F&V gauges parking characteristics to estimate the demand for parking and on driver’s demeanor while choosing the parking space.
- Pedestrian studies: F&V puts together pedestrian studies that specialize in the measurement, analysis, and improvement of pedestrian traffic areas.
- Travel time studies: A travel time study determines the amount of time required to travel from one point to another on a given route. When F&V conducts this study, information may also be collected on the locations, durations, and causes of delays.
- Traffic impact studies: F&V’s traffic impact studies forecast the additional traffic associated with a development and identify potential problems that might influence development decisions. In large communities, these assessments help plan for multimodal transportation, including public transit.
- Traffic signal warrant analysis: F&V looks at the process to determine if a signal is warranted.
- Safety studies: F&V evaluates transportation system concerns and determines appropriate solutions.
- School studies: F&V surveys school related traffic congestion, which is defined as the overcrowding and blocking of streets on or near school property that is typically associated with car transportation of children to and from school.
- Site circulation studies: F&V studies how visitors/pedestrians/traffic move to or near the site and flow around or within it.
- Wayfinding studies: F&V conducts these studies that lead people through a physical environment and strengthen their understanding and experience of the space.
- Transportation planning: F&V looks at the current system and design for future transportation needs, keeping in mind your budgets, goals, and policies.
- Sign design/schematic: F&V has experience in signalization for the safety of pedestrians, the calming of traffic, and increased optimization at intersections.
- Intersection design: The traffic engineers at F&V know intersections are a significant aspect of street design where motorist, bicycle, and pedestrian movements merge. Practical intersection design addresses all mobility and safety goals as well as opportunities to enhance public space.
- Complete streets: F&V’s approach to planning, designing, building, operating, and maintaining streets that provides safe access for everyone.
- Traffic calming: F&V uses physical design and other measures to improve the safety for motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists.
- Maintaining traffic plans & provisions: F&V maintains traffic plans throughout a project in accordance with the latest standard specifications.
Give Us the Green Light
Let’s move forward with your next project. Give us a call or email below!
F&V has worked with hundreds of different federal, state, and local projects. We have partnered on a number of projects with Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) and Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT). We are also the traffic engineer of record for several municipalities.
F&V’s traffic engineers perform capacity analyses to determine how much traffic can reasonably fit on a roadway in a safe and efficient manner. Our transportation engineers plan, design, operate, and maintain transportation systems to help build smart, safe, and livable communities.